Monday, July 15, 2013

Six

Isn't it crazy to think that in one week from this very moment, we will be getting ready to board the plane to go "across the pond" and begin our European adventure?! I believe Bill emailed everyone today...if you did not check your email, please be sure to do so as it contains some important information about picking up your itinerary and luggage tags. One suggestion Bill makes is to watch some movies about London and Paris... 
There are tons of movies out there in which Paris is the backdrop. But there are few movies, in my humble opinion, in which Paris is the star. The three movies below are ones that, to me, really capture the true essence and beauty of Paris and leave me feeling both satisfaction and yearning for my beloved city.

1. Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (better known as just Amélie)

Amélie is not only a great Paris movie, it's an outright great movie - period. (probably my favorite movie of all time). And while I think it's the cat's meow, I have come to understand that it is not for everyone. It is very quirky in a very French kind of way...if you don't know what I mean, you will just have to watch it. And just so you know...it is a French film. Which means it is in French.  So unless you're fluent, subtitles are a must!
The story takes place in Montmartre - the area of Paris that was formerly home to the impressionists & post-impressionists and is still home to la vie Bohème and, of course, the famous Moulin Rouge, which we will check out in a few more days.  The movie follows the life of Amélie Poulain, a shy waitress played by Audrey Tautou, who sets about doing good deeds to make others' lives a little happier. But what about poor, lonely Amélie? Of course there is a love story involved, but not in a cheesy rom-com sort of way. If you want to watch a  unique movie that will make you feel good AND give you great views of Paris, then I highly recommend this film.
Photo Credit: J. Boyer-Switala (2008)
And when we go to Montmartre, you can check out Le Café des Deux Moulins where Amélie worked (see photo above).  I had a glass of wine and some melon and prosciutto there once. There is  plenty of Amélie memorabilia there and even the Polaroids of the traveling gnome!

2. Midnight In Paris

I must admit, Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris is giving Amélie a real run for its money in the favorite movie ever category! The first two and a half minutes alone are worth watching over, and over, and over again (yes, I've done that...is there a problem?!) Even if you don't care to watch the whole movie (which is utterly inconceivable to me and I must vehemently point out that you are missing a truly amazing film!) you should at least watch the first two and a half minutes as it showcases Paris' beauty and splendor to a really fantastic soundtrack!
The story is really well written - witty, thoughtful, and honest. It appeals to multiple generations (case in point: it even captivated my fidgety 12-year-old son). However, it is particularly charming if you know your "Lost Generation" literature/history.  I absolutely love Owen Wilson's character, Gil Pender. How could I not? Gil (also my grandfather's name!) is me in male form. His thoughts and feelings about Paris are so much my own, that it is like Woody Allen was inside my head as he was writing the script. This movie was perfectly cast and really brings to life some of history's finest writers and artists. In fact, my literary crush on Hemingway was furthered by the spot-on portrayal in Midnight
My favorite line, however, was spoken by Marion Cotillard's character, Adriana. She says, "That Paris exists and anyone could choose to live anywhere else in the world will always be a mystery to me." *Sigh* Exactly.

3. Paris, Je T'Aime

Of the three movies listed, Paris Je T'Aime (translation: Paris, I Love You) probably gives  the best insight into modern Paris' many faces. It is a series of 20 vignettes, each written and directed by the likes of greats such as Wes Craven, the Coen brothers, and Gérard Depardieu, and stars tons of top actors such as Natalie Portman, Juliette Binoche, Elijah Wood, and Steve Buscemi. The common themes: Paris and love. 
Some stories are sad. Some are funny. Several touch on the modern social and political issues facing Paris today, such as the perceptions (or perhaps more correctly, misconceptions) of its Muslim population, not to mention its African and Asian populations. Some are through the eyes of Americans - the one with Steve Buscemi and his encounter at the Tuileries métro station is hilarious, yet rings true. And of course, one vignette tackles the gritty subject that intrigues yet horrifies many: the Parisian mime (which, for the record, I have yet to actually see in Paris).
What are your favorite movies about Paris? London? Share them here... we'd love to know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment