Monday, July 29, 2013

All About Town Sunday


Bonsoir! It was another very warm day in Paris, but it was cooler than yesterday, thank goodness! We spent our morning taking a bus tour of Paris. It was a great way to see the city. We made a couple of stops, but the one most enjoyed may have been the Eiffel Tower.
Our group poses in front of the Eiffel Tower
The Eiffel Tower
Pavit et moi
My "artsy" shot of the Eiffel Tower
After the bus tour and some lunch, everyone went to the Louvre...well, except me. I snuck off to the Mémorial de les Déportées. I have been wanting to see this for about a year, and could not when I was here in January due to the snow. This memorial was created to commemorate the hundreds of thousands of Jewish people deported from France to camps like Auschwitz-Birkinau, Bergen-Belsen, Ravensbruck, etc. during the Nazi Occupation.  I wish I could show you the photos of the actual memorial, but I had to pinky swear that I would not post them online. Seriously...those are the rules. The best I can offer is an outside shot ...
Memorial of the Deportees of France 
We made our way up some of Paris' steepest hills to Montmartre. This is the area where the greats of Impressionism and Post-Impressionism lived and worked. The students went inside the Sacré Coeur (another place with the no photo rule) and then enjoyed some free time before dinner.
Picasso's Studio
We ate at one of Bill's and my favorite restaurants - La Poutre. We had the quintessential French meal - beef bourguignon - and the students thought it was delicious. 
Larry explains Montmartre
We took students to see the famous (or infamous depending on your perspective) to see the outside of the Moulin Rouge. No one went in...the cost of tickets begins at around 100 euros! 
Can-Can Anyone?
I will try to post again tonight...I know you are all eager to read and see what we are doing. If I don't, don't worry - it doesn't mean there is something wrong. It just means I'm old and tired! À bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment